Register ($525) at this link
Thursday, October 13, 2011
JPMorgan Chase, 270 Park Avenue, New York, NY
Cornell/SelectLeaders Job Barometer Report
David L. Funk, Ph.D., Director, Program in Real Estate, Cornell University
Career Summit Luncheon
Strategies & Insights for Employers and Seekers
Speaker: Anthony J. LoPinto, Senior Client Partner and Global Sector Leader, Real Estate, Korn/Ferry International
Career and Employment Panel Discussions
Moderator: Lynn Zuckerman Gray, Founder & CEO, Campus Scout, LLC
Panel 1: Trends and Strategies in Real Estate Hiring 1:30-2:45pm
- Kenneth Cohen, Head of Real Estate Finance and Trading, UBS
- Kim Diamond, Senior Managing Director, Kroll Bond Ratings
- Paul Hughson, Executive Managing Director, Island Capital Group
- Alan Kanders, Managing Partner, G2 Real Estate Partners
- David Lazarus, Managing Director, Eastdil Secured
- Douglas M. Weill, Founding Partner, Hodes Weill & Associates
Panel 2: Human Resources in the Real Estate Workplace 3:00-4:15pm
- Gerald Cohen, Chief Operating Officer, Ackman-Ziff
- Karen Dennehy, Managing Director, BlackRock
- Kyle Maldiner, Director of Human Resources, The Durst Organization Inc.
Conference Check-In: Lobby, 270 Park Avenue
Conference Registration, 50th Floor, 270 Park Avenue
4:30pm–9:00pm, 50th Floor, 270 Park Avenue
Opening Reception, Dinner and Keynote Address
Robert H. Abrams, Founding Director, Program in Real Estate, Cornell University
Opening Remarks and Introductions:
Conference Chairman: J. Allen Smith, CEO, Prudential Real Estate Investors
Recognition of Cornell Real Estate Review 2011 Industry Leader:
Robert Duncan, Chairman, Transwestern
Jonathan D. Gray, Senior Managing Director and Co-Head of Real Estate, Blackstone
Friday, October 14
Conference Check-In: Lobby, 270 Park Avenue
Conference Registration and Breakfast: 50th Floor, 270 Park Avenue
Setting the Stage
The Great Recession ended officially in July 2009. But while at least modest economic growth resumed and job losses have abated, the lack of sustained job growth and high levels of household debt are holding the domestic economy back. And for-sale housing is stuck in a protracted downturn. Questions concerning whether we will slip into a renewed recessionary period persist. On top of all this, there are concerns about possible sovereign debt defaults. This session will set the stage with a review of the economic fundamentals affecting demand for commercial real estate—at home and abroad.
Chief Economist, Moody’s Analytics
Panel 1: Global Capital in North America
Some would say that increased capital flows from abroad drove us into the financial crisis of 2008 because of demand-induced erosion in the underwriting of collateralized mortgage-backed securities. Are those same investors now driving an unsustainable recovery in commercial real estate values? This session will focus on how international capital flows are influencing the demand for commercial real estate investment in North America. This discussion will give us an understanding of the magnitude of the capital flows and the extent to which international investors are playing a role in North American real estate markets.
- David J. Lynn, Managing Director and Head of Research and Investment Strategy Group, Clarion Partners
- Steven A. Kohn, President and Principal, Cushman & Wakefield Sonnenblick Goldman
- Peter H. Madden, Director, Americas Real Estate, APG Asset Management US, Inc.
- Kenneth S. Ziebelman, Managing Director, Eastdil Secured
Panel 2: International Investing
When we gathered last year, we observed that substantial equity was sitting on the sidelines waiting to be deployed. Has a dearth of higher yielding investment opportunities in North America led to a search for opportunities abroad? And with all of the fiscal and political uncertainty in Europe and the Middle East, how do investors perceive the security of such investments. In this session, those who are doing international deals will share where they are putting their dollars and how they are making money.
- Eric Adler, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Pramerica Real Estate Investors Limited
- John R. Klopp, Managing Director and Co-Chief Executive/Chief Investment Officer, Morgan Stanley Real Estate
- Thomas M. Shapiro, President and Founder, GTIS Partners
- Claude Sirois, Senior Vice President, Emerging Markets Investments, Ivanhoe Cambridge
Abby Joseph Cohen
President, Global Markets Institute, Goldman Sachs
Panel 3: Development and Construction Abroad
While there is some resurgence in domestic multi-family residential development, it is limited to selected markets and there is little domestic activity in other product sectors. Housing permits and new home sales plummeted by 75% from their peak at the end of 2005 until early 2009 where they have remained for more than two years. Investors, developers and builders will share their successes as well as the challenges they face when they seek development opportunities in more robust and dynamic international markets.
- Kevin P. Fitzpatrick, Managing Director, Spring Bay Property Company, LLC
- Daniel P. McQuade, Executive Vice President, Tishman Construction Corporation
- Douglas C. Yearley, Jr., Chief Executive Officer, Toll Brothers, Inc.